Since 2014, we have led the "return to the typewriter" movement in journalism training. We have been at the forefront of bridging intelligence theory and practice to investigative reporting.
We offer seminars in security and information collection topics relevant to journalism and taught by private-sector security professionals. In 2017 and 2018, we will run 2-day weekend seminars that are comprehensive and affordable: Riot and Civil Unrest Reporting, Surveillance and Counter-Surveillance for Journalists, Source Operations for Journalists.
We provide expert instruction to reporters covering sensitive stories in permissive and non-permissive areas. Focusing on core defensive and offensive principles and techniques, we teach basic skills. This is behavior-oriented instruction, as opposed to tool-based instruction.
What We've Achieved
- Guest instructors at the National Press Club.
- Feature in In These Times Magazine.
- Speaker at 2016 Excellence in Journalism conference.
- Designed handwritten cipher called Echo Encryption Standard.
- Panelist at 2017 CU Boulder journalism conference on conflict reporting
- Held classes 001 and 002 of tradecraft seminar.
- Published on Mint Press.
- Advised journalists traveling to non-permissive countries.
- Advised reporters under targeted surveillance by state actors.